ENQUIRY vs INQUIRY!!! How to Use Inquiry vs Enquiry Correctly? There is always the difficulty of recognizing British vs American spelling with words like these. The two terms are often used interchangeably. However, there is a difference between the two.
ENQUIRY vs INQUIRY
Inquiry or Enquiry? When to Use Enquiry or Inquiry?
Enquiry and Inquiry are nouns. They mean question, inquest, or investigation and can be used interchangeably.
British English Usage
In the UK, inquiry is used to denote an investigation, enquiry is used to denote a question. However, there is still considerable leniency on this distinction.
- They’ve passed the inquiry over to the police.
- We all desire your early reply to this enquiry.
- We thank you for your enquiry.
- The inquiry was formally initiated last month.
- You are requested to complete an inquiry form.
American English Usage
In the US, inquiry is more widely used than enquiry. Many will consider enquiry to be a spelling mistake of inquiry.
- The inquiry was critical of her work.
- This is a purely personal inquiry.
- The inquiry was conducted under a blanket of secrecy.
- He’s now the subject of an official inquiry.
- This subject is outside the scope of our inquiry.
Inquiry vs Enquiry – When to Use Inquiry or Enquiry | Infographic
Enquiry or Inquiry – Difference between Enquiry vs Inquiry