DEFENCE vs DEFENSE!!! How to Use Defense or Defence in English Sentences? Learn the difference between Defense vs Defence.
DEFENCE vs DEFENSE
Defence or Defense? What’s the difference between Defence vs Defense? Differences between some -ce, -se words do reflect a difference between British vs American spelling. For examples:
- British: offence, pretence
- American: offense, pretense
In the United States, people spell it with an “s”—defense. In parts of the world where British English is used, they use the spelling with a “c”—defence.
When to Use DEFENSE
Defense is the American spelling of a noun that means resistance against attack or harm.
- Leagues are commonly made for mutual defense.
- New Zealand was weak in defense.
- Our defense should be strengthened.
- Morgan is a well-known defense attorney.
- He plays on defense.
- He was the then secretary of Defense.
- He realized none of his schoolmates would come to his defense.
- The defense called only one witness.
- The best defense is an offense.
- The only perfect defense could set four spades.
- Jean wrote a letter to the paper in Angela’s defense.
When to Use DEFENCE
Defence is the British spelling of a noun. It has the exact same meaning and grammatical rules as defense.
- We steered a correct defence policy.
- The defence budget was still growing.
- She had invoked the law in her own defence.
- Huge sums of money are spent on national defence.
- When her brother was criticized she leaped to his defence.
- I’ve never played in a defence position.
- A new minister of defence had been appointed.
- They should cut their expenditure on defence.
- I still prefer to play in defence.
- A lot of money is spent on defence.
- Attack is the best form of defence.
Defense or Defence – Difference between Defense vs Defence | Infographic
Defence or Defense – When to Use Defence vs Defense